Saturday, June 25, 2011

Savory Sourdough Aebleskiver

I know what you are all wondering.  "Savory Sourdough Aebleskiver" didn't she post it already? Yes and No. I had made Sourdough Scallion pancakes which used sourdough, and made Vegan banana Aebleskiver which used sourdough too. But, there is a big difference between those two recipes and this one. This one doesn't use any leavening agent like baking soda and baking powder. Also, it is more in the family of Indian paniyaram/paddu/Gundupongal since I used rice flour in it. Whatever it is, it is quick and tasty. You see, traditionally paniyaram is made with rice and lentils soaked for several hours and ground to make the batter that is fermented overnight. I had no time. I used sourdough starter to mimic the effect of fermentation.
One year backSourdough Applesauce Spice Cake
Ingredients: (Makes about 30 small aebleskivers)
Sourdough Starter - 1 cup (100 % hydration straight from the refrigerator)
Rice flour - 1 cup
Water - 1/2 - 3/4 cup (I used 3/4 cup)
Salt - to taste
Green chillies - 4 chopped fine (optional - use cayanne pepper or red chilli flakes instead)
Scallion - 4 both green and white parts chopped fine (You could use finely shredded carrots or zucchini or a combination instead about 1 cup)
Cilantro or Mint - 1 TBSP chopped (optional)
Oil - to cook the Aebleskivers.

Method:
In a bowl, mix rice flour with sourdough starter. Add water slowly and mix it so that there are no lumps. Set aside for an hour or two. Add salt, chopped green chillies and the scallion or choice of grated veggies, herbs and mix. Heat the Aebleskiver pan. When hot, add about 1/4 tsp oil or less in each cup (you could just use one drop each if you have a non-stick pan like mine). Pour enough batter in each cup. Cover with a lid and let it cook. When the batter on the top looks set, gently turn over and cook on the other side till golden. Repeat the same with the remaining batter. Serve with chutney or chutney powder or some hot sauce. They were so tasty, I snacked on them as they were.

Notes:
You could add a tsp of cumin to the batter to flavor it.

Sending this to Yeastspotting.

Have a great weekend. Pin It

8 comments:

  1. Wow thats truly incredible...nice use of leftover sourdough..awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Delicious....reminds me of the paniyarams!!! Truly try-worthy!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Champa,
    I've been following your blog for quite sometime now. I like it a lot especially your tips section and the presentation. My husband loves sourdough bread, but I find it difficult to get the starter, where can i find it at an affordable rate?

    Thanks,
    Madhu

    ReplyDelete
  4. Madhu,
    Thanks for the comments. You can make the starter yourself. Here is the post which gives you the recipe for that. I feed my starter once a week and keep it in the refrigerator.
    http://versatilekitchen.blogspot.com/2011/02/sourdough-starter.html

    Good luck with it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Now I really wish I had an æbleskiver pan! I always have some sourdough in the fridge and would love to try this. I have to find a pan!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yum, love them, I have the pan now, so I would love to try :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very pretty looking appay!..nice to know the twist..

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the pictures and the props you used here

    ReplyDelete

If you have a question and you leave it as a comment, I'll surely answer the question to the best of my knowledge. Thanks for visiting.