Sunday, April 10, 2011

Asian style Couscous

We have a big problem at my house. Someone doesn't like the names like Quinoa, Couscous, brown rice, barley or even broken wheat. Whole wheat bread is not welcomed as easily as part whole wheat. But, I am stubborn. I keep making whatever I have found out to be healthy anyway.
I bought a big bag of brown rice and sneaked in by using it to make dosa. Barley is converted into barley dosa or barley adai. But Quinoa is a different story. I can't hide it very easily due to its nutty taste. Couscous is not only healthy but is very quick to make. You can get it ready to use in 10 minutes if you have hot water on hand. This dish is inspired by one of Rachel Ray's shows. She was making a take out style meal with some rice pasta, a stir fry with some seafood.
One Year Back - Guacamole, Making of a mermaid Cake
Ingredients:
Couscous - 1 cup
Hot water to cook couscous - 1 cup
Red Onions - 2 small or 1 large sliced into thin slices
Scallions - 5 both white and green parts chopped (optional)
Bell peppers / Capsicum - 2 small seeded and cut into thin slices (I used green ones but you can use any color)
Sliced water chestnuts -1 small can drained (optional)
Canola oil - 2 TBSP
Soy sauce - 2 TBSP or to taste
Salt - to taste
Rice vinegar - 1 TBSP
To make a paste:
Garlic - 3 cloves
Cilantro - 1 cup loosely packed
Ginger - 1 " piece chopped into chunks
Toasted sesame seeds - 2 TBSP
Juice from 1 1/2 limes - about 4 - 5 TBSP
Thai chillies - 5 (remember I am Indian - go easy on this or use more if you like spicy food)

Method:
In a blender jar, take all the ingredients mentioned in 'To make a paste' above and grind it. Don't add any water and if some of the sesame seeds remain whole, it is alright. If you don't have toasted sesame seeds, toast them on a dry skillet till golden brown and use it. Take couscous in a bowl. Pour hot water on it and cover with a lid. It will be ready in 10 minutes.
In a pan, take oil. When hot, add sliced onions. Sprinkle some salt and let it cook. When they are half cooked, add green peppers. Stir. When these are half done, add the water chestnuts and chopped scallions. Let them all soften a bit. They don't have to cook completely since they have to be crispy. Fluff the couscous with a fork. Add the paste, soy sauce and the couscous to the pot of veggies. Mix and check for salt adjusting if necessary.  Let it be on low flame for 2 -3 minutes. Add the rice vinegar finally and mix them all up. Turn off the heat and serve warm. This makes a healthy, filling dish.

Today is the last day of one week blogging marathon. Check out what all these ladies are up to today..
Diabetes Diet/Management: Srivalli, Champa, Harini, PJ
Kid Friendly Recipes: Kalyani, Shylaja, Veena
Seven Days of Soup:Usha, Sowmya
30 Minutes Meals: Priya Suresh 
Seven days of Cakes:  Anusha

Enjoy. Pin It

13 comments:

  1. Interesting recipe Champa, I have never cooked with Couscous..c

    ReplyDelete
  2. Champa, same is the case at my house. I have to sneak in so many healthy things in dosas, chapatis, idlis. And as you mentions quinoa is the hardest to sneak in. I Roast, powder and add it..so far so good!
    This one sounds interesting!

    ReplyDelete
  3. looks yummy and innovative...

    ReplyDelete
  4. never used couscous in my cooking though i really want to after hearing a lot about it..

    ReplyDelete
  5. Never tried couscous!!!! The cooking looks just like the Burghol!!!! Very Interesting!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Excellent dish dear. Very nicely decorated.

    Deepa
    Hamaree Rasoi

    ReplyDelete
  7. lovely couscous recipe.....i love cous cous in my salads

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nice recipe Champa! I have a pack of couscous in my pantry and yet to cook it. Will try your recipe, when I decide to make it

    ReplyDelete
  9. I never used couscous in my cooking... intresting!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. First time here. Lovely blog. Never used couscous before. Will try this out.

    Vardhini
    http://vardhiniskitchen.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

If you have a question and you leave it as a comment, I'll surely answer the question to the best of my knowledge. Thanks for visiting.