Friday, September 10, 2010

Strawberry Chocolate Chip Muffins

My older one has started kindergarten and she needs to pack a snack and a drink every day. She usually tells me what she wants for the next day and most of the time it is a baked good. I sometimes try to send her some crackers or fruits but she does get what she wants at least twice a week. She asked me to bake some muffin for a snack. I wanted to make something that is fairly healthy but at the same time not compromising on taste.
I also wanted to finish up the pack of strawberries that I had frozen some time back.  On the top of it, I wanted to finish an opened container of sour cream. A win win situation I should say. This recipe is inspired from many muffin recipes that I have come up with or tried so far.

Ingredients:
Whole Wheat flour - 1 cup
All purpose flour - 3/4 cup
Sugar - 3/4 cup
Sour cream or yogurt - 3/4 cup
Vegetable Oil - 1/4 cup
Egg - 1
Strawberry pureed and measured - 1 cup (I used frozen strawberries thawed and then pureed/mashed)
Vanilla - 1 tsp
Baking Powder - 1 tsp
Baking Soda - 1 tsp
Salt - 1/2 tsp
Semi Sweet Chocolate chips - 3/4 cup

Method:
Preheat the oven to 350 F. Line two muffin pans with paper cups and spray lightly with vegetable oil spray. In a bowl, whisk together flours, baking soda, baking powder, salt. Set aside. In another bowl, mix strawberry puree, sugar, sour cream or yogurt, vegetable oil. Beat in the egg. Add Vanilla and mix well. Slowly add the dry ingredients to the wet and mix just until the flour is incorporated. Don't over mix. Stir in the chocolate chips. Scoop the batter to the muffin cups filling it 2/3rd full. This measurement is for 16 standard muffins. Bake for 22 - 25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean. Let cool in the pan for 5 minutes before turning on to the wire rack to cool completely.

And a peek at inside..
Happy Baking!! Pin It

13 comments:

  1. Muffins are really tempting me to have one..

    ReplyDelete
  2. These sound almost as decadent as a cupcake. Very nice, BB.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love strawberries in my baked goodies..My daughter also likes muffins in her snack pack :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Strawberries and Chocolate! Now, thats a deadly combination and my favourite too :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. So cute... perfect snack for my twins.. First time here and i love your space.. will visit in leisure to look through your recipes...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Champa

    Muffins looks tempting..just woke up:)

    sorry for answering late
    ofcourse you can send archive entries with my link..
    hope to see lots of entries from you..!

    ReplyDelete
  7. awesome pics! lovely muffins..

    ReplyDelete
  8. It sounds like you ended up with a win win muffin.

    ReplyDelete
  9. oh...my...lovely place...mouthwatering cup cakes...will surely try out frm these...

    ReplyDelete

If you have a question and you leave it as a comment, I'll surely answer the question to the best of my knowledge. Thanks for visiting.