Monday, September 27, 2010

No Knead Whole Wheat Raisin Mini Buns

I got a message from a very old friend. He sent me the link to this blog with a "Champa, is that you?". I replied back saying "Yes". I was surprised how he came to know about my blog since men, particularly Indian men are not into cooking or reading about cooking. I was thrilled at the same time.

Continuing that happier note, this marks my 300th post on this blog. Even though I created this blog in July, there was nothing on the blog to read except the first post till October. So, I consider these 300 posts to have been written in less than a year's time. I guess I should not count 39 'bake-off' posts, but then I did compose those roundups so 'Why Not?'. You must all think "God, does she have a life?" I wondered that too when I mentioned this to my husband. And he goes "how can you write 300 posts in less than a year unless you are writing one every day". He is so right. I think I need to cut back on number of posts. What do you think?
Someone asked me when I posted 'No - Knead Savory Buns' if that can be made with whole wheat flour. I wanted to try that but not make it savory so that my kids will eat. I tried that and when I saw the dough, I wanted to make then as flat buns so that I can slice them and toast them something like an english muffin. If you want muffin shaped buns, make only 9 out of the given proportions and you should be fine.

Ingredients:
Whole Wheat flour - 1 1/4 cups
Dry Yeast - 1 1/4 tsp
Warm Water - 6 TBSP
Yogurt - 2 TBSP
Olive Oil - 2 TBSP
Sugar - 2 TBSP (Can be increased to up to 4 TBSP for a sweeter bun)
Raisins - 1/4 cup measured and then chopped into tiny bits
Salt - 1/2 tsp

Method:
In a bowl, mix water and sugar. Sprinkle yeast on the top and let it froth about 5 - 10 minutes. Add oil, yogurt, salt and flour. Stir with a wooden spoon till all the dry flour is incorporated. Add raisins and stir couple more times. Cover with a clean kitchen towel and let it rise till puffy. This dough will not double in bulk. It took almost 1 1/2 hours for me to get it puffy. But check after 1 hour for indentation. If it remains, then the dough is ready to be put into the pan. When it is doubled, stir with a spoon again to deflate. Grease a 12 cup muffin pan. Divide the dough between the 12 cups equally. I was suppose to make only 9 using this much of ingredients, but I went for tiny buns and split them into 12. With greased hands, roll into balls and place them in the cups. Take a drinking glass whose bottom is slightly smaller than the muffin cup. Grease the bottom and flatten the dough. This is optional. Cover with a greased aluminum foil and let it rise for about 45 minutes to an hour. Again, dough will not double in bulk. Preheat the oven to 375 F. Bake for 15 minutes. Remove from the pan immediately to the wire rack to cool.


Serve toasted with some butter or jam or both. I liked them as is without any extra sugar on the top. But my husband felt it could've been a little sweeter.

Counting Calories:
These calories info is without using butter or jam. It is just the bun. Look how petite they are..

These Petite buns go to Susan's Yeastspotting.

Happy Baking!!
Pin It

11 comments:

  1. wow whole wheat buns ..sounds so gr8 ...congrats for ur 300th post champa ...its a gr8 achievement..

    Satya
    http://www.superyummyrecipes.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love that these buns goes for no knead, looks prefect n awesome..

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats on your 300thpost..buns looks perfect and well baked !

    ReplyDelete
  4. Champa, Congratulations on completing 300 posts.. No..you should not decrease the frequency of your posts..in fact it would be good if you post more and more vegan baking recipes at a faster rate than this..:-) In this recipe, can I susbtitute yogurt with flax seed or applesauce?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks everyone for taking time to write a few lines. It keeps me motivated.

    Priya,
    First of all, thank you for reading the entire post. Yes, you may substitute yogurt with flax meal, but it is not really binding in this recipe. You can just use some soy milk/almond milk in its place or just use water. It will come out just fine.

    ReplyDelete
  6. this is an interesting easy recipe.. will try it soon for sure.!!!!! CONGRATS on ur 300th post

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh great!! Like the no-knead factor Champa,this sounds easy. Whole wheat and lightly sweet sounds just perfect!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. These look so cute! And no knead makes it so easy...

    ReplyDelete

If you have a question and you leave it as a comment, I'll surely answer the question to the best of my knowledge. Thanks for visiting.