Thursday, April 29, 2010

Mango Icecream

Looks like I am getting ready for summer in spring itself. My kids do love ice cream (are there any who don't?) and I thought of making some for them. Last summer, I had made banana ice cream and knowing that my kids love mangoes, I wanted to make some mango ice cream. I made it by hand for two reasons. One, I was too lazy to unwrap my ice cream machine and get ice going and use it. Second, not everyone has an ice cream machine. I wanted to give an option to those who do not have it. Here goes my recipe..


Ingredients:
  • Sweetened condensed mango pulp - 1 30 Oz can (I used Kesar Mango)
  • Heavy whipping cream - 3 cups
  • Sugar - 3/4 cups (Start with 1/2 cup and then adjust accordingly. Different brands differ in sugar concentration)


Method:

In a big stainless steel bowl which has a tight fitting lid (Ice cream freezes well in a metal container than plastic), mix heavy cream, mango pulp. Add sugar and stir till sugar has dissolved. Cover with the lid and place in the freezer. At the end of 4 hours, remove from the freezer and break the ice crystals with a fork. You could let it sit for couple of minutes and cut into chunks and pulse in food processor too. When you have mixed it all over, transfer the container back to the freezer. Repeat this process 3 - 4 times or until the ice cream is fairly smooth and set completely. Serve as desired. To be honest, I probably will never buy mango ice cream from the Indian store.

Another peek at the ice cream..

Variation:
You can add some cardamom powder if desired along with some saffron to get 'Kesar Mango Ice cream'

Enjoy!! Pin It

18 comments:

  1. gr8 icecream recipe..shall try it soon

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are tempting me to prepare mango icecream now..thanks for sharing..pictures look too good..

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks so delicious !! My sweet tooth is clamoring .. Lol !!

    Smita
    @ Little Food Junction

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh dear I'm getting hungry for the ice cream(just finished hearty breakfast)...Good that I'm going for Indian grocerries this weekend, so mango pulp can is on the list now.....and thanks for trying it with the hands, as I'm also in no mood of opening my ice-cream maker this season, hardly have any space in this kitchen to put it......

    ReplyDelete
  5. This looks perfect. I have to get some tinned alphonso to make some mango treats!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I crave for some right now. Beautiful presentation.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ice Cream looks good. My very good friend taught me how to make this without an icecream maker and I am hooked on it as well. Just waiting for the weather to improve in the Northeast to make icecream. Lovely!
    Sent you my entries for this week's bakeoff. Total -5 entries.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very delicious mango icecream and very easy instructions to make.No use of icecream maker makes me happy.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Mango Icecream looks lovely and delicious and such a simple and easy recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ice cream looks fabulous! So tempting....

    ReplyDelete
  11. I definitely am going to prepare this as soon as I am over my cold :). Thanks for another simple wonderful dish.

    ReplyDelete
  12. must have for the summer~ Looks delicious!

    http://ruchikacooks.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. looks so rich nd creamy ...pass me the bowl

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow! Looks so yum.. and such a simple recipe.... Love it!

    ReplyDelete

If you have a question and you leave it as a comment, I'll surely answer the question to the best of my knowledge. Thanks for visiting.